Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Life Without Ed

 

Here is a book that Kathy has me reading.  It is an incredible book!  I highly recommend it but I will tell you just like Kathy told me.  Do not get this on your Kindle or whatever electronic reading device that you own.  You need the paperback copy so that you can mark and come back to.  The introduction will make you want to read it from front to back but it will tell you not to do it.  This book is Jennifer Schaefer's journey to Recovery from her eating disorder.  Her therapist is also a part of the book and there are exercises for you to do along the way.

From the Introduction:

I have never been married, but I am happily divorced.  Ed and I lived together for more than twenty years.  He was abusive, controlling and never hesitate to tell me what he thought, how I was doing it wrong, and what I should be doing instead...Ed is not a high school sweetheart.  Ed is not some creep that I started dating in college... Ed's name come from the initials E.D. - as in eating disorder.  Ed is my eating disorder.

Does that intrigue you?  It did me!  And I can tell you that I live with Ed the scumbag.  Over the last few weeks I have come to really hear his voice and he is very real and I am going to fight my way to divorce him and Mrs. Perfectionist.  Kathy said last week that this will be the battle of my life, the hardest thing that I have ever done and it will require a lot of work.  I can tell you by hitting bottom these last couple of weeks over the disgusting reality of my life, I am ready to claw my way back.  Jennifer realized that she didn't know who Jennifer really was because of Ed.  I feel the same way.  I have felt that for so long.  I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself.  Who am I?  Why am I here?  What is my purpose here and also the many prayers that I have prayed over the last 37 years "Why God?  Don't you let me die?  Why don't you just not let me wake up?"  I hate to admit that but that is how I have felt. So many bad things have happened during my life.  Who is Laura?  The real Laura?  Well I'm ready to find out.  

Anna is also reading this book and her and Kathy are consulting to help me fight my recovery.  I'm so ready.  I hate Ed!  HATE HIM!  I've read enough in the book that I have came to the first stopping point and I need to write my Declaration of Independence from Ed.  I will post it on a page on this site once I have it written.

Here are some other books that Kathy has had me order and get that we will be also working on but we haven't started just yet.  She wants us to get into "Life Without Ed" a little further.


This is a workbook that Kathy and I will be working on.  It also has a book that was written prior to the work book that she will have me read separately.  Again she told me to not get these books electronically.  Here is the companion book:


She is already having me read things in this book that interest me.  This is a type of book that has different snippets that you can read and help where you are at the moment in regards to mindfulness of the mind, the body, the feelings and the thoughts.  I haven't used it much yet but I have flipped through some of the pages.

Here is the last book that she had me get:


This book has exercises that you can use during stressful times instead of running for the food.  They are all mindful exercises which is the direction that Kathy is taking me with my eating so it is only right that I also learn other mindful techniques.  I'll share more on this book as I start to use it.

Well, you can see that Kathy knows her stuff and has recommended some awesome things to read and work on together.  But right now the biggest thing is "Ed", my new found but very long ago friend who is fixing to get his booty kicked out of my life for good.  I recommend all these books.  Check them out on Amazon so that you can read parts of them to see for yourself.

There's you a project to do till tomorrow when I figure out what to share with you all next!

Quit listening to Ed...he's not your friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment