Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Let me try this!

Woohoo! This just might work!

I just downloaded the blogger app on my samsung tablet and it will let me dictate my post. So let's see how this goes. Just know that I'm not going can try and make and a typo corrections.

Last Monday I met with a the new internist who is also board certified in weight management. I've learned some very interesting things from her. Now because of all the computer problems let's see if I can remember them all.

She told me that carbs have a lot to do with weight management and our metabolism. She told me that carbs also can cause inflammation in our bodies.  She approached me about giving up carbs and seen what it does to my body and my metabolism. So basically right now she has taken away bread, pasta, any kind of potatoes and any kind of rice. She told me eventually she will add them back but one at a time so that we can see how my body reacts to it. Interesting huh?

She told me that I could have protein any vegetables are fruit that are on the low glycemic list. She told me that I could have dairy on occasion like yogurt of course without sugar. That's the other thing she talked to me about is the effect sugar and all the processed foods and their other names such as high fructose corn syrup and such have on the body. All these names were on the handout that she gave me when I left her office. We had a discussion about artificial sweeteners and she told me to get off of those and only use stevia and agave syrup. She told me that artificial sweeteners have proven can make you crave more sweets. So there went my coke zero's.

We talked about the fact I have a chef and that I have gotten used to eating mindfully and I really like not having to worry weighing and measuring. She understood how I felt as I told her I had been working with an eating disorder team for almost a year and a half. She asked me who I worked with and I told her Woodland's Eating Disorder Clinic.  She told me that they were on her list of people who she wanted to speak with. She went on to tell me that she would like for me to keep my calories around 1200 to 1500 a day. I asked her how was I going to be able to track calories and eating mindfully? She told me that if I could truly practice mindful eating staying in that range should not be a problem. Frankly it kinda scared me! I told her then I would be willing keep track and weigh and measure for a short time but there was no way I wanted to get back into diet mentality as I have work so hard to get rid of it. She understood and told me she agreed and told me not to worry about it. I asked her if she wanted me to at least track what I was eating by using the app My Fitness Pal?  She told me that she would leave that up to me.

I had so many questions and so much more to talk to her about but I could tell my time was up as she told me she would give me some handouts to help me learn the different names of sugar and she told me to be vigilant about reading labels. I told her that my birthday was the 12th and that I wanted to celebrate it and then on the 13th I was going could be out of town visiting a friend I haven't seen since graduating high school. She told me to eat carefully until I got back and she would see me towards the end of the month so that I could have a full week of eating the way she wanted me to.

So I went and checked out and made my next appointment and I got home and started looking over the handout and I got so confused I had to put  them down and walk away and look at them later. I knew that we still had food to eat from the chef and I knew I had to gear up for this and I could tell you as time passed I really had to deal with my head not accepting this as a new diet but a new healthy way of eating. I think I have grasped that now.

So this week I got the chef on track so tomorrow she will be delivering grilled chicken, bake fish and grilled pork along with two veggie recipes that fit the guidelines that the doctor gave me. So here we go, a few sloppy days because of my birthday and then its Katie bar the door!

Well, this was quite an experience dictating this blog post and I can tell you I know I left some things out and I will try to straighten things out as I get going. At least now I can get my blogging done not be trying to figure out how to keep you up-to-date and not getting so far behind.

So check in tomorrow and there will be another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment