Monday, February 23, 2015

Cold!

I was cold all day long and I kept trying to think of those who are dealing with snow and frigid weather.  Not temps in the upper 30's and 40's!  But I had a hard time staying warm,

Today was a laundry/cleaning day.  I also did my hair and got a little stitching done.  I'm grateful that my eating is getting better each day.  Hopefully this week I will have a better weight loss.

Wait!  Did I post Sunday that I lost a whopping .8 lbs?  Miracle!  I promise that was a gift from above but I will take it!

I did get a news letter today from Downsize and I want to share it.  I'm going to do it in parts so that it can soak in because I think it is important.  Here is part one:

Can't Slim Down?  Here Is Why...


Wanting to lose fat, and failing at it, is one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

One or several of the following 7 Fat Loss Problems may be what is standing in your way of fat loss.  Keep reading to find out how to quickly and easily begin reshaping it all.

 
Fat Loss Problem #1: Your Mind

Your mind is your number one ally when it comes to achieving your goals. However, until your mind has been programmed for success, it will do more to derail your efforts than to help you.
  • Take a few moments each day to visualize yourself at your ideal weight.Imagine how it feels to look the way you've always wanted.
  • Protect your mind from any negative self talk. If a negative thought comes to mind, immediately reject it.
  • You want to be slim and fit, and yet you think of yourself as out-of-shape and fat. Re-program your mind to think of yourself as fit and attractive, and you will be well on your way toward achieving your goal.
  • Give up the belief that you can't achieve the body you've always dreamed of. See it first in your mind, and then in the mirror.

I can tell you this is huge!  I've been working at this and it is so important!  It took me weeks in the beginning before I was able to look myself in the eyes and tell myself that I was going to be ok, that I was beautiful and I loved myself.  Then I told myself that I was worth it!  Belief does change you!  Without belief you will never change!  Read it again...Belief does change you!  Without belief you will never change!  Thank you Michael!

I also promised to share the recipe that I made Saturday night.  Here it is and it is excellent!

gbl_spanish_quinoa_1gbl_spanish_quinoa_2
gbl_spanish_quinoa_3gbl_spanish_quinoa_4

Spanish Quinoa
(Serves 4 as a main dish, 6 as a side)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
• 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes with green chilies, un-drained
• 1 cup water or low-sodium vegetable broth
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (use less if using vegetable broth)
• 1 cup frozen green peas
• 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and uncooked quinoa. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the quinoa is golden, about 7 to 9 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, water or broth, chili powder, cumin powder and sea salt. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Remove lid, add frozen peas, and simmer until any remaining liquid evaporates and peas are heated through.
3. Garnish with green onions.
It makes a delicious meal as is, but you can also try adding a can of rinsed and drained pinto beans at the same time as the green peas, topping it with 1-2 eggs cooked to your liking, or adding in cooked shredded chicken. My favorite way to eat it is with a sunny side up egg and avocado.


Now what I did is I made the recipe but I added a drained and rinsed can of black beans and I baked a pound of chicken breasts and I cut it into bite size pieces and added them when the recipe said to add the green peas.  It was delish and will be repeated often!

I found the recipe at the following link:

http://girlbikelove.com/2012/01/healthy-recipes-spanish-quinoa/

This girl's recipe won a contest that Whole Foods put on.  I've made it plain and took it to my niece's house to go with chili and everyone wanted the recipe.  It is so good!  If you have never tried Quinoa this would be a good way to do it!  Just remember to always wash Quinoa 3 times soaking in in a fine mesh sieve in a bowl of water till the water is clear.  It gets rid of the funky taste.  Do it even if it says it has been pre-washed!!!  It hasn't and it does make a difference!!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment