Monday, January 12, 2015

Sleepy Day!

Late last night I was shredding the chicken for the soup I made and all of a sudden I felt weak and nauseated.  Mark took over and I went to sit down and I checked my heart rate and it was 51.  That's a little low but as I sat it went back up and I felt ok.  I did sleep good but I woke up today tired.  I was scheduled to go to the gym but I cancelled it and I went back to bed and slept pass noon.  I must have been tired.

Waking up so late I had a late breakfast and a late lunch.  Dinner was late too.  I did clean the kitchen and I got my shower and washed a dried my hair.

The soup I made was good but it needed something.  I checked the recipe and it had no salt or pepper.  Weird.  So I added 2 teaspoons of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper and it was much better.  Here is the recipe.  I will make it again.


Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili

I’m not sure whether I’d call this Quinoa Chicken Chili or Quinoa Taco Soup – either way, I’d call it  scrumptious. I’ve never made quinoa in a savory way – so I was excited to give it a try and it didn’t disappoint. Quinoa is very high in protein, so it goes great in this chicken chili to help give it some heft and substance.
I love that it was cooked in the Crock Pot – which means it only took me about 15 minutes to toss together this morning and the slow cooker did all the work.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup of quinoa, rinsed (I rinsed and soaked mine in cold water 3 times)
One (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (I used crushed)
One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained (I did not use, I added a rinsed can of Great Northern Beans, I can't have corn for now)
3 Cups chicken stock
2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp chili powder


Note:  I added 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper after it was done.  Next time I will add it while it cooks.

HOW TO PREPARE
1.) Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high. I added frozen chicken breasts to mine and cooked on high for about six hours. As long as the chicken is cooked – it’s done!

2.) Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.

3.) Top with cheese, sour cream, avocados – whatever sounds good to you! I’m thinking the next day it would probably thicken up enough to eat in a whole wheat tortilla.


Now, I don't eat any dairy so no sour cream or cheese was added.  I could have had some avocado with it but didn't think about it at the time.

Crockpot-Quinoa-Chili
And you know what?  That picture is gross to me now.  I have no desire for cheese any more.  I'm perfectly happy living without dairy.  Try going without it.  I believe dairy really does wreak havoc with our bodies.  Cows milk is for cows, not humans.  No wonder so many are lactose intolerant!  My gastro problems are actually better.  No running to the little girl's room as much as I use to.  
I didn't walk today.  Weather did not permit.  I hate this time of year.  Michael will not be pleased.  Tomorrow I have a busy day.  Gym in the morning and getting my hair done at noon.  It's suppose to be cloudy and raining tomorrow and only in the 40's.  I need some sunshine!
I watched The Bachelor tonight and worked on my Angel.  Now I'm sleepy.  I think it is time to hit the hay.
Night Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment